This week we are discussing heroes, the features that make people stand out from the crowd, the feelings of admiration or disappointment that heroes might create…
To start with, you may watch the video for Bonnie Tyler’s hit song “Holding Out for a Hero”. You may find some interesting expressions there:
You may also watch this video about some of the consequences World War I had on some of the survivors.
Go through this list of historical characters, and decide with your partner which three you would pick as your own personal heroes / heroines, and why. What features of their personality made them stand out from the crown? What is their legacy?
- Stephen Hawking
- Ada Lovelace
- Oskar Schindler
- Abraham Lincoln- helped end slavery
- Mahatma Gandhi
- Sir Isaac Newton- mathematician and scientist
- Queen Victoria- English Monarch 1837-1901
- Tim Berners-Lee- inventor of the world wide web
- Marie Curie
- John Lennon
- Alexander Fleming
- Nelson Mandela
- Mother Teresa
- Albert Einstein
- Emmeline Pankhurst- leader of the suffragette movement demanding votes for women
- Malala Yousafzai- Pakistani schoolgirl who defied threats of the Taliban to campaign for the right to education.