The last project of the year has to do with literature. I wanted students to get to know a bit about canonical works of fiction in British and American literature. These are the novels we are working on:
- Swift, Jonathan. Gulliver’s Travels.
- Defoe, Daniel. Robinson Crusoe.
- Carroll, Lewis. Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland.
- Shelley, Mary. Frankenstein.
- Alcott, Louisa May. Little Women.
- Golding, William. Lord of the Flies.
- Rowling, J.K. Harry Potter saga. (at one of my students’ insistence, and it’s a classic by now anyway, so…)
The first step in our literature project was to find out about the writers’ biographies. So, every group had to search for information to fill in a graphic organiser. I pre-selected some websites I wanted them to visit (to avoid Wikipedia), and I shared the links using QR codes for those groups using mobile devices, or shortened links to the only group who are using my laptop.
Then, they had to explain their findings to the rest of the class using Explain Everything. Their explanation was recorded. You can find two examples below: