There was a news item in the UK recently on the fact that vegans are complaining that they find some English idioms offensive, and are suggesting alternative idioms. Can you see their point? How do you feel about their proposals?
- Listen to this clip dealing with why vegans object to some idioms and suggest alternative idioms instead:
You can also read this article about the same story.
2. Look up the idiom(s) you have been assigned. Then, a) find a picture which describes it visually; b) record a short explanation of what the original idiom means. You can use Talk and Comment, or any voice recording app.
- Let the cat out of the bag
- Take the bull by the horns
- There’s more than one way to skin a cat
- Flog a dead horse
- Bring home the bacon
- Put all your eggs in one basket
- Be a guinea pig
- Has the cat got your tongue?
Upload both the picture and your explanation to this padlet:
Once the padlet is complete, listen to your classmates’ explanations and pictures. How effective was their mediation? Is the meaning clear for you now? You can rate their contributions on the padlet. You can also add further comments (text or audio comments).