World Teachers’ Day (October 5th) has been held since 1994. It is a day celebrating teachers and commemorating teacher organisations around the world. You can also celebrate it with your own students. Here are some ideas and resources:
Goofy (Walt Disney)- Teachers are People:
In this short film, Goofy becomes a teacher, who has to face a rather trying classroom. One student in particular drives him up the wall.
(H/T to I.L. for sharing the video with me)
- Click here to watch the video with subtitles.
- Presentation with some of the actions shown in the short film.
Matilda, by Roald Dahl: Miss Honey vs Miss Trunchbull:
The text below describes Matilda’s teachers, Miss Honey and Miss Trunchbull. Students can compare and contrast them by using the graphic organiser below:
You can listen to the text being read by Kate Winslet here:
Kidvice- What kids want you to know about their teachers:
Some American kids were asked by ABC’s Today show these questions:
- Tell us about your favourite teacher
- What do you think makes a good teacher?
- If you could give your favourite teacher a gift, what would it be?
- What do you think teachers do for fun?
- If you could say one thing to your favourite teacher, what would it be?
You can find their answers on the video below (H/T to T.F. for sharing the video with me):
Click on the picture to watch the video
You can ask those very questions to your students, to see what they think, and ask them to write their answers on a mindmap (see below).
The Perfect teacher:
You can ask your students to reflect on and discuss what makes a “perfect” teacher, by answering the questions about the Kidvice video, and writing their answers on a Mind Map like the ones below.
Then, they can write a short text describing their perfect teacher, following a suggested model.